Position TitleSLCC Student, Workstudy - Specialist II or III, People Helping People
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Service Leadership Coordinator
Position TypeOne Year Temporary
Job CategoryWork Study - Variable
Initial Work LocationMultiple Locations
Starting Salary$12.55 - $15.17
Job Open Date08/22/2019
Open Until FilledYes
People Helping People is dedicated to reducing the number of children living in poverty by teaching low-income women how to earn a living wage. Each year, 1000 prospective clients enroll in our employment program. Our employment program offers educational workshops, mentoring, and coaching. Students will have an opportunity to conduct community outreach, as well as assist in program administration. This opportunity allows the student to develop communication with a diverse range of clientele, increase organization, and learn office administration.
People Helping People is a community partner of Salt Lake Community College’s Thayne Center for Service and Learning. The Thayne Center for Service & Learning provides a supportive and inclusive office for students to explore community involvement, leadership, and volunteerism. By providing opportunities in conjunction with local nonprofits we cultivate an environment to test our student’s interests and area of study while assisting them to realize they have the knowledge and skills to affect positive change in our community. Though the position will be a direct placement at People Helping People, the Thayne Center for Service and Learning will administer the orientation, enrollment, and exit from the Community Work Study program and will act as an on-campus supervisor.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
• Community Outreach – Students will conduct outreach at community fairs. They will gather new client information. They will make calls to invite potential clients to the new client program overview.
• Administration – Students will assist Program Coordinator in office tasks such as tracking client attendance, assembling client binders, creating awards, filing, printing, and setting up client nights.
- Must have a SLCC Federal Work-Study Award
- Must pass a background check
- Attend all Thayne Center orientations and trainings related to this program.
- Must have reliable transportation
- Hours are Tuesday and Thursday evenings, as well as every other Saturday morning.
- Work between 10 to 20 hours a week.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Students who are interested in working with nonprofits or in an office setting.
• Ability to collaborate, multitask, and meet deadlines.
• High standards of quality and professionalism.
• Attention to detail, self-motivated, and a willingness to learn.
• Ability to work with a diverse group of clients.
• Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to learn Access Database.
• Customer service and ability to remain pleasant during challenging client interactions.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College. Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Work Study is awarded to SLCC students through the Federal College Work Study Program, which requires establishing financial need through the FAFSA online application from the Financial Aid office. If you do not have work study awarded to you, you will not be eligible to work under work study positions.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.