Position TitleSLCC Student, Work Study - Specialist I, Thayne Center CES/AmeriCorps
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Civically Engaged Scholars Coordinator
Position TypeOne Year Temporary
Job CategoryWork Study - Variable
Initial Work LocationTaylorsville Redwood Campus
Starting Salary$11.41 - $12.54
Job Open Date09/10/2019
Open Until FilledYes
The purpose of this work-study position is to assist the Civically Engaged Scholars Coordinator (CES) in the organization and implementation of both CES and AmeriCorps. The person in this work-study position will be responsible for the following: organizing both digital and physical files; developing a system to correctly catalogue and update files pertaining to members in the program(s); keeping information belonging to those in the program confidential; communicating with the Coordinator on a daily basis; capable of working independently and in a team; and, able to work at the Taylorsville Redwood Campus, South City Campus, and by themselves.
Civically Engaged Scholars and AmeriCorps are two programs housed within the Thayne Center for Service & Learning Department. Both programs are purposed to add benefit and value to those studying at Salt Lake Community College. The Thayne Center for Service & Learning provides a supportive and inclusive office for students to explore community involvement, leadership, and volunteerism. By providing opportunities in conjunction with local nonprofits we cultivate an environment to test our student’s interests and area of study while assisting them to realize they have the knowledge and skills to affect positive change in our community.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Serve students with exceptional customer service.
- Accurately keep records of information.
- Innovate on approaches and implementation.
- Must have a SLCC Federal Work-Study Award
- Must work at least 10 hours a week during the semester
- Must pass a background check
- Attend all Thayne Center orientations and trainings related to this program.
- Planning to be at SLCC for the Fall and Spring semester
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficient in English language
- Proficient in Microsoft programs, including Word and Excel
- Must be flexible working in a fast-paced, higher education environment.
- Strong commitment to social change through community empowerment
- Experience or interest in civic engagement and service
- Ability to Check Emails and Slack (a messaging app) everyday
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College.
- Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Non-Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- May assist students in the Thayne Center
- May present in classrooms regarding programs
- May assist students, staff, and faculty in accessing Bruin Food Pantry resources
- Must have federal work study award through SLCC’s Financial Aid Office to Apply for this job.
- Must be enrolled in 6 credit hours per semester.
WHAT IS WORK STUDY:
Work study is awarded to SLCC students through the Federal College Work Study program, which requires establishing financial need through the FAFSA application from the Financial Aid Office. If you do not have work study awarded to you, you will not be eligible for work under work study positions.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.