Position TitleSLCC Student, Workstudy - Specialist I, Thayne Center Video
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Community Partnerships Coordinator
Position TypeOne Year Temporary
Job CategoryWork Study - Variable
Initial Work LocationTaylorsville Redwood Campus
Starting Salary$11.41 $12.54
Job Open Date09/10/2019
Open Until FilledYes
The Thayne Center for Service & Learning provides a supportive and inclusive office for students to explore community involvement, leadership, and volunteerism. By providing opportunities in conjunction with local nonprofits, we cultivate an environment to test our student’s interests and area of study while assisting them to realize they have the knowledge and skills to affect positive change in our community.
The Video Specialist will work directly with the Community Partnerships Coordinator to create short agency spotlight videos for committed Thayne Center community partners and programs. In this role, the Video Specialist will participate in the filming, production, editing and dissemination of the partner videos. Work will be taking place both on and off campus at various locations. Access to equipment can be provided through Salt Lake Community College South City Campus. The specialist may also assist with social media content creation.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
• Assist students,faculty, and staff as they walk into the office.
• Table events to promote Thayne Center programs and events
• Talk with students, faculty, and staff about Thayne Center programs and volunteer opportunities.
• Assist with Thayne Center social media content creation.
• General office support.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties Continued
- Student will effectively schedule appointments with identified community partners, and communicate in a timely manner.
- Student will be a self-starter and have weekly check-ins with Community Partnership Coordinator
- Student will be responsible for all aspects of scheduling, filming and editing of the videos
- Student will assist with the dissemination of the videos
- Student will take the lead on this project with the potential of coordinating a team of service-learning students to assist with editing and recording videos.
- Student may write site visit blog posts highlighting the various community partners they visit.
- Student may produce additional videos for Thayne Center programs, events, and other opportunities
- Must have a SLCC Federal Work-Study Award
- Must work at least 4 hours a week during the semester.
- Must pass a background check.
-Attend all Thayne Center orientations and trainings related to this program.
- Video recording and editing experience
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Student must be able to travel to various locations throughout Salt Lake Area.
- High level of customer service
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read, write and speak well in English, bilingual skills a plus!
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations.
- Experience with video production and editing as well as interviewing skills.
- Proficient in written and oral communication, including scheduling appointments, interviewing and being a self-starter
Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College. Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Non-Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Assist with other duties as assigned.
- Must have federal work study award through SLCC’s Financial Aid Office to Apply for this job.
- Must be enrolled in 6 credit hours per semester.
- Pass a criminal background check.
WHAT IS WORK STUDY:
Work study is awarded to SLCC students through the Federal College Work Study program, which requires establishing financial need through the FAFSA application from the Financial Aid Office. If you do not have work study awarded to you, you will not be eligible for work under work study positions.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.